By default, your community gets a “subdomain.mobilize.io” domain by default, you can customize only the subdomain portion of the domain. If you’d like to use your own domain and fully brand the experience, this help article is for you.
In summary, this article covers the following:
- Choose your custom domain
- Connect the CNAME Records
Step 1: Prerequisites
You’ll also need to make sure that you have the following:
- Access to the Account Owner - To access the domain settings, you’ll need access to the account owner as this is the only user who is allowed to do the setup.
- Access to your DNS provider - where you bought your domain name (eg. GoDaddy, Route53, Gandi or any other)
- Enterprise plan - This feature is enabled for Enterprise customers only
Step 2: Choose your custom domain
Decide what would be your custom domain. Let’s say that you own “exampledomain.com”.
You’ll have two options
- Map a subdomain of your custom domain to Mobilize. For example: “community.mybrand.com”, “www.exampledomain.com,”, or any other subdomain you’d like to have. Using a dedicated subdomain like community.mybrand.com is the most common implementation of this feature.
- Map the top domain “exampledomain.com” to Mobilize. This is not always possible and mainly depends on your DNS provider (GoDaddy, for example, won’t let you map the top domain. Choosing www.exampledomain.com might be your best option in this case).
We do not recommend using groups.exampledomain.com or members.exampledomain.com if you are planning on using the custom email domain feature. Using the groups or members domain prefix will cause email deliverability issues.
We also do not recommend using a domain without a domain suffix (.com)
Step 3: Connect your CNAME
Let’s assume that exampledomain.com is your regular domain and you want your Mobilize community address to change from “exampledomain.mobilize.io” to “community.exampledomain.com”
- Head to your Community Settings and click on Edit your Domain
- Enter your registered domain and add your prefix you decided on above in Step 1
- Once you click next you will be presented you the DNS configuration for your custom domain ( shown above). DO NOT CLICK ACTIVATE YET AND KEEP THIS TAB OPEN
In your DNS Provider
- Head to your DNS settings to add a CNAME record
- Create a CNAME record with using NAME as the VALUE and the ALIAS FOR as the RECORD
- Click save
Once these have been completed, head back to Mobilize and then click Activate